Today I reflected on some more of the advantages when online learning is done well. And I say done well, as having the learning outcomes clear and visible to students should be the case in any online or offline classroom, but an advantage of online learning is that children have time to process and reflect on these at a connected home and the rewindable nature means that learning and information is always there no matter if students are away sick or dealing with a multitude of issues that they may be faced with in their homes or elsewhere. In these brain states of brainstem or limbic when stressed, the children are often unable to learn or learn well - and the cultural capital that some students bring to learning only amplifies that divide. There is more equity of access to learning in an online situation.
In that regard we are also reminded that online learning should always be easily accessible - "limiting the links." Allowing all students to learn easily without online barriers.
Today we worked with sites and I am excited by the possibilities for these with my able readers. As they are becoming increasingly capable and interested in online learning I am considering the options to amp their learning and increase reading and their learning at school and home. I am very interested in the t shaped learning concept as I can see the students would love to read around the topic and I could extend some very able readers this way. It would also allow some readers who are slower processors more time to reflect and process.
I have created a butterfly learning page from a group project and would like to try that with these readers.
Kia ora Delia,
ReplyDeleteYou've reflected deeply on the range of benefits for learners in having access to a Google Site and the diverse range of multimodal learning we can provide for them. Isn't it wonderful that we can cater for learners in so many different ways, in one place! I really enjoyed your site on Monarch Butterflies. I have a plant in my garden that attracts Monarch's most of the year and they are such beautiful creatures, aren't they. Have you seen Jamie's Butterfly, I think it's called. It's a wonderful opportunity to see how learners can grow in their learning, to create much more sophisticated learning than they originally thought. Let us know how your learners go with this... I'm particularly interested in the create tasks they would have a go at after such enriching learning!
Kia haumaru te noho,
Amie
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi again Delia,
DeleteActually it's called Austin's Butterfly. Here's the link to this great movie Austin's Butterfly
It's one of my favourites,
Amie