Pages

Friday, 14 August 2020

Dealing with Data Day 4

 Today we focused on the tradition of sharing and how sharing in an online context is not in competition with the sharing in person - be it assemblies, with the principal or when family come to visit in the classroom.  All offer rich opportunities for connecting and validating the child's learning experience.  

In our possible return to level 3 for the rest of the country and joining Auckland - it is timely that all our opportunities are available to us.  Extremely pertinent to me was because my family are self isolating awaiting covid test results for my partner who has the 'flu.  When level 2 was announced on Tuesday night, we had just returned home from a face to face school interview.  The next day I was at home and advised that I would conduct online interviews for my class the next day and as I was at home I could do so.  The process went very well and a colleague's students even made slides of the now abandoned School Art Exhibition in the hall, to share with the school community.  

Today, somewhat tired from my last interview finishing last night at 8pm, I learned how to use forms, maps and sheets.  Below is the sheet I used and information I took to a slide to upload, analysing Tara's blog statistics.  Though my students don't currently have a blog this is a useful process for me to learn professionally.  



I could certainly use maps as an interesting ways on our upcoming trip into Wellington - in mathematics - looking at distances but also at venues we will visit etc.  This could be shared with parents/caregivers on Seesaw...

We are all interested in seeing how the decisions roll this evening but feel if there is a need to return to using our Seesaw platform for learning and are faced with more time learning from home, that will possibly allow me more opportunities to use and experiment with these tools.  Silver linings I guess!

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Delia,
    Thank you for your wonderful reflections on the day's learning at DFI. It was another full day, wasn't it? It's great to see that you are seeing opportunities to use tools within the classroom learning - such as MyMaps. I think that your upcoming trip would be such a great authentic context! It's also wonderful that you have an open mindset to tools that aren't so directly applicable at this stage in your classroom, to be able to see how they can help to further your own learning and understanding. When you do use MyMaps with your class, please do come back and share here on your blog how you used it and what you noticed. Sharing here amplifies your own learning to inspire others as well. Well done on keeping up with the big demands in education at the moment - an art exhibition, online DFI, online parent interviews and looming Levels all add to a big, busy picture. Your open mindset and way of approaching the challenge of it all is heartening. Well done and see you again on Friday,
    Kia haumaru te noho,
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amie, I'm also doing the DCIM through Massey University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orU6r0VLBsc !!

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Delia,

    I hope your family are well and you've been able to return to school this week. Using mymaps as a storytelling tool is a wonderful way to share your trip, you could use it planning and exploring what student think might happen on the trip and then as reflection as well.
    I hope this week has gone well for you.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicki - my family is all good thanks. Hope you are well - lots of sore throats and stomach bugs around. The real school trip officially cancelled on Tuesday so thinking of how to setup the classroom as a virtual bus!

    ReplyDelete